Sunday, February 13, 2011

DARE GRADUATION

 Thursday Katie and Becky graduated from the "D.A.R.E." Program at school.  Becky was one of the 2 children in her class that were chosen to read her essay during the graduation. 
 DARE ESSAY by Becky Weber
I think D.A.R.E. is great! I have adopted the skills of the DARE decision making model.  I'm now able to define the situation, assess my choices, respond and choose a choice and evaluate and see if it was a good choice.  I know these new skills will help me with drug problems in the near future.
I was amazed at the tobacco facts.  I already knew it was bad for you, but I didn't know it had 200 known poisons or that 400,000 people each year die from tobacco related causes.  I was stunned by how deadly marijuana is and people still smoke it even though it's illegal in the United States.  I've learned that smoking is like giving yourself a death sentence.  Alcohol isn't as deadly as smoking but can still cause problems to a growing body and can damage every organ in your body.
Overall, I now have more skills and can finally resist drugs.  I can make better decisions and I know what to say when offered drugs.  I know about peer-pressure and facts about drugs.  I know the more I practice these new skills the easier it will be to resist drugs.
Now I finally have learned about the crazy effects of alcohol, the deadly marijuana and the poisons of tobacco.  Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing what I'm smoking.  I swear on my life that I will stay away from all drugs.  Thanks to my officer I can live a healthy life while knowing about what I'm staying away from.

No comments: