Friday, January 29, 2010

TREASURE HUNTING & CHOIR

Thursday Steve had the day off from work. We don't usually spend a Thursday together, so I gave up a day scrapping with the girls to hang out with my honey. We didn't have anything extremely excited planned, but I seriously just enjoy being around the man.
So we loaded into his truck and went to WalMart to finally replace the crock pot that broke a few months ago. I was so excited. We got a nice 7 quart!!! YEAH. Then I suggested we go to DI (deseret industries) and go "treasure hunting". I got this idea from another woman's blog. She lives in Washington DC and hits the Goodwill ever so often and finds all sorts of neat treasures: nice silver, cool furniture, china, and linens on the CHEAP. Steve and I meandered around the store. I did find some cute jeans for the girls for only $4, but my awesome find was these cool green, square plates. I liked them as soon as I saw them, but then when I turned them over and saw that they were Pottery Barn and only $1 a plate I LOVED them even more. So we walked out of DI with Pottery Barn dinner plates for only $8...my LUCKY day!!! Later that evening we loaded the family in the van and headed over to Barnes and Noble. The elementary school will be hosting 6 different children authors at the school on Friday. Barnes and Noble had an event at their store where the children could purchase the author's books so the children could have them signed at the school the next day. They also had performances by the band and choir and the principal read a story to the children. It was quite and event. Katie and Becky bought 2 books by the author Jessica Day George. They have read her first 2 dragon books and loved them.
Belle purchased a book by the author that would be visiting with the 6th graders and Zack finally spent his 2 Barnes and Noble gift cards purchasing a Pokemon Pokedex and the book Dune. I didn't want to be left out, so I bought a copy of the JD Salinger book Catcher in the Rye to add to our bookshelf on the same day the author passed away at the age of 91.
Before we checked out we listened to the girls perform with the choir. They were the same songs we had heard them sing in November at the choir program, but I still totally enjoyed watching them. It is those little moments that I LIVE for.

No comments: