Friday, November 09, 2007

Dear Mr. President


The beginning of October , we were at my parent's house. While we were there, I was sharing with Belle some of the mementos I have from my childhood. I showed her a booklet about the White House and Ronald Reagan that I had received when I was 9 years old. I received it in response to the letter and birthday card that I had sent to the then President Reagan. She was so amazed that the President had sent me mail. So I told her she could do the same thing. So when we got home later that weekend, she put pen to paper and wrote to her letter to President Bush.

It was quite cute, she told him about school and her siblings and sent a school picture along with the letter. Weeks went by and Belle would check the mail for her response from the President. Both Steve and I told her that it could be a while before she would received a response. I wish you could have seen her reaction when I handed her the large manila envelope today as she returned home from school. Of course I took pictures before she opened the envelope.
She read and examined every word in the letter and was thrilled to get a photograph of the President "from" the President. As she put the letter and photo back in the large envelope she declared that this was "the coolest thing that has ever happened" to her. As her mom, I have to say, it was one of the coolest things for me to watch my daughters face light up when we received that envelope...so thank you Mr. President for making my little girl's day and a memory that maybe she will be able to share with her daughter in 26 years!!!

No comments: